31. Aljaž days
Dovje – Mojstrana – Vrata, 25. – 27. August 2023
Every year at the end of August, we organise Aljaž Days in Dovje, Mojstrana and Vrata. With events in the paradise under Triglav, we revive the memory of the great Slovene Jakob Aljaž, patriot, mountaineer, builder of mountain huts, musician, parish priest, who spent almost four decades of his life among us in the parish of Dovje. The programme is imbued with culture, mountaineering, patriotism, in the spirit of Aljaž’s work.
Jakob Aljaž, on his arrival in Dovje in 1889, found himself in the cradle of folk creativity. A gentle, patriotic priest, he noticed a great love for singing, playing and dancing among the locals. He left an indelible mark on the towns below Triglav. In 1989, we erected a monument to him. Since then, we have been organising the traditional Aljaž Days event in his memory, this year the 31st in a row.
Friday, 25 August
- 20.00 Čop Joža, stories about the legendary Slovenian climber and mountain rescuer, lecture
Slovenian Alpine Museum, Mojstrana
Saturday, 26 August
- 11.00 Local residents’ meeting on the occasion of the ceremonial entry of the KS Dovje-Mojstrana into the family of the Mountaineering Villages (Bergsteigerdörfer)
Aljaž House, Vrata
- 20.00 Slovenians in the Kanal Valley, documentary film, discussion with the authors of the film and short musical programme with singers from abroad
Aljaž Enlightenment Centre, Dovje
Sunday, 27 August
- 8.00 Gustln’s march, PD Dovje Mojstrana
Aljažev dom – under the Triglav North Face to the Luknja saddle / shorter variant – bivouac under Luknja
assembly at 8:00 at the Aljaž House, Vrata
- 15.00 The most beautiful Slovenian melodies, Zither band and tenor Klemen Torkar
St. Clement Church, Mojstrana
- 16.00 Holy Mass
Church of St. Clement, Mojstrana
The event is sponsored by Tourism Kranjska Gora. Free admission.
We recommend to visit the Vrata Valley by bus (free of charge), timetable available HERE.